Sunday, December 1, 2013

Making an Attempt

I've been catching up on my once favourite blog, Wandering Cat Studio (it's not that it's not my favourite anymore, more that I haven't caught up on my blogs in a good year... odd; I know.) and decided to make an honest attempt to actually post more.

After a long weekend at work, I've curled up with my needles and cast on a sock Christmas.  I was asked for a pair of handmade socks... but unfortunately wasn't given much more to go on.  I knew I had to use a superwash wool, something that could be tossed in the wash and dryer - basically no fuss, hand knit socks.  I wasn't given a colour - just that they wanted them to be stripey- and in general this isn't an easy person to shop for.  After searching for some grey/white/black striping yarn at a reasonable (with shipping) without luck, and after Knit Picks discontinued Felici in Monochrome (I have a skein set aside for a specific project, and I'm not giving it up) I settled for Regia Racing Color sock yarn in 8883.  I'm not sure how pleased I am with the stripes, as it's thin stripes of black, with wide bands of black and white jaquards... Hopefully they'll like them.

Here's what they look like so far:
I'm using ChaioGoo Premium Stainless Steel needles, in US size 1 (2.25mm), and just doing a simple toe-up sock design - I fell in love with toe up socks after knitting my first pair, then again after knitting Dagger for the scary sock knit along (even if I only managed to finish one during the competition.  I still need to cast on the second sock, but I have more pressing projects).

Eventually I plan on getting a better camera, but until then I'll be using my crappy phone cam - My battery for my digital camera is dead and I can't find the charger.


No comments:

Post a Comment