Saturday, December 20, 2014

Community of Knitting

I had planned on waiting until I finished all my Christmas knits before posting, so there would be a nice compilation of pictures and patterns for you to look at.  Instead, I want to tell you about this wonderful thing going around Instagram and the knitting community.

There's a new "game" called #GetYourYarnWishGranted.
I purchased a pattern from Oblivious Knits to grant her wish, picking myself up These Are The Breaks pattern, hoping to get some yarn for Christmas (even if I buy it myself) to make it.  She's trying to raise enough money to help out her mum, so if you like her designs, please consider buying one (or more!) of her patterns!

Photo by Oblivious Knits
Now, a lot of people were posting for yarn, which is lovely and amazing that people are willing to send coveted skeins.  I would love some indie yarn, but feel a bit guilty about posting it as a wish - a lot of indie yarns are expensive and I would feel bad having someone send me a skein of something yummy (it must be a Canadian thing).  Instead I wished for this: Any pattern off my Ravelry Queue.  I was surprised at not only the speed of which knitters responded, but that not one, but three people granted my wish!

First:
Photo by Jenny Lee
Sockanoids From The Deep.  This was part of the Super Scary Sock group from 2010 - the year I started knitting and knew nothing about how to use Ravelry, knitting socks... or as I'm embarrassed to say, before I found out I was knitting backwards!

Second:
Photo by aKNITomy
I've likely posted about how much I love and have covetted this pattern.  Some may find it a wee bit morbid, but I love anatomy, and bats and knitting... this has all three! The pattern is Knitted Bat Specimen, great for most gothy people you know - knitters or not!

Third:
Photo by Susanna IC
This is Polaris, a shawl I've had on my queue for since 2012.  I love the beaded pattern, and I may have just the yarn and beads I want to use already in my stash! Don't be surprised if this ends up being my first finished object of 2015!

The knitting community is by far one of the most generous I've come across, I'm looking forward to granting a few more wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment